SharePoint 2016 Installation Guide – Install Windows Server 2013 R2, AD and the Pre-reqs
In May 2016, Microsoft released SharePoint 2016. This in-depth guide will explain how to install SharePoint 2016 on Windows Server 2012 R2.
If you don’t have access to the software already, you can download a 180 days trial of SharePoint 2016 here.
I’ll start this blogs series with installation of SharePoint 2016 on Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 with Microsoft SQL SERVER 2014 R2. So, let’s begin now.
It’s very important to understand the hardware and software requirements of MinRole for Microsoft SharePoint 2016 before starting. So, I would suggest you read this to learn more about MinRole.
For a completely fresh installation, we can follow the steps below to install SharePoint 2016 on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2. I’ve already written blogs on how to install Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 and Active Directory setup with windows domain controller so please refer to those is you need to.
How to install Windows Server 2012 R2 and Active Directory:
As I said, these discuss Sharepoint 2013, but the process is the same for SharePoint 2016. Once you’ve completed part 1 and 2 please come back to this post.
- Step by step Installation of Windows Server 2012 R2
- Step by step Installation of SharePoint 2013 on Windows Server 2012 R2 part 2
Welcome back! Now that you’ve installed Windows Server and AD it’s time to install SQL Server and SharePoint 2016. In effect this will mean you need to complete the following steps…
- Step by step installation of Microsoft SQL SERVER 2014 R2
- Run prerequisites for Microsoft SharePoint 2016
- Install Microsoft SharePoint 2016 Successfully
Carry out the prerequisite steps:
Let’s setup and configure some of prerequisites before we jump into installing Microsoft SQL SERVER 2014 R2 installation.
- We must run the windows updates and install all recommended updates.
- Create a new Service Account to install Microsoft SQL SERVER 2014 R2.
- Please install “.Net Framework 3.5” feature as this is one of the most important prerequisites for Microsoft SQL Server 2014 R2.
Important: – Install Microsoft SQL SERVER 2014 R2 before you install Windows Domain Controller in your Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2.
Note: – If you’re installing Microsoft SQL SERVER 2014 R2 after configuration of Windows Domain controller then you have to use NETWORK/Service windows account to setup Database engine for Database instance.
SharePoint 2016 Installation Series:
This series of posts will explain how to install SharePoint 2016 on Windows Server 2013