Telegram is one of the few major developers that regularly updates its Windows app. In fact, the messaging giant maintains its desktop app more or less in line with its mobile offerings. So, when the company announced streaming exporting support for the first time this week, it is for its mobile apps and Windows PC.
Adding a tool to export streams is a major feature boost for Telegram, allowing it to compete with other major messaging services. Support for external streaming support comes via a collaboration with XSplit and OBS Studio. Alongside this new ability, the app is also getting the ability to share short links for profiles and a new download manager.
Telegram is already one of the better messaging apps when it comes to streaming, allowing an unlimited number of viewers on livestreams. Now the app allows you to export your streams to other platforms.
By using XSplit or OBS Studio, it is possible to reach more viewers by expanding across platforms.
Below are all the changes Telegram is making on its Windows app:
- Active and recently finished downloads pop up in the bar in the bottom left corner, like they do in browsers.
- View recently downloaded files in Settings > Advanced > Downloads.
- Get an alert before closing the app if you have unfinished downloads.
PHONE NUMBER LINKS
- Share a direct t.me link to your phone number that instantly opens a chat with you.
- Use the full number in international format, like t.me/+123456789
LIVE STREAMING WITH OTHER APPS
- Manage Live Streams in your channels using external software like OBS Studio or XSplit Broadcaster.
- Choose “Stream With…” when starting a video chat or live stream – then copy your Stream Key and paste it into your streaming software”
Telegram has become a useful tool during the Russian invasion of Ukraine over the last month. Developed by Russians, the app is popular in the country. Because it is completely encrypted, it is one of the few information channels in Russia that is not corrupted or influenced by the government.
In other words, Russians are able to find truthful news on the war that has not been spun by Russian propaganda.
You can download Telegram for Windows 11 and Windows 10, with the new features on board, from the Microsoft Store here.
Tip of the day: Windows sometimes refuses to delete certain folders or files. In our tutorial we show you how to take action in such a case and still erase the affected files from your hard drive.