Last month, Microsoft brought Minecraft: Java Edition to its Xbox Game Pass subscription platform. Also last month, Mojang announced at Minecraft Live 2021 that Caves and Cliffs Update 2 will be coming soon. Now, the company is rolling out a snapshot of this update for all Java Edition users.
Called Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 21w44a, this release comes with plenty of changes, including for the world blending tool. However, for the most part the update is about fixes and making small improvements to Minecraft: Java Edition.
Essentially, Mojang is preparing the game for the full release of the Caves and Cliffs Update Part 2, which will drop before the end of the year.
Below is the full changelog for Snapshot 21w44a:
- New world generation is now inserted under existing chunks when upgrading a world to the new world height
- Added an Online options screen where you can now find the Realms Notifications option and Difficulty when on a server
- Added an “Allow Server Listings” option to opt-out of having your name displayed in server listings
- Sleeping now only resets the weather cycle if it is raining
- Blocks and fluids are now also affected by simulation distance. It might be a good idea to test that the behavior of your redstone contraptions remained the same
- Optimized entity collisions
- Servers can now set property hide-online-players to true in order to not send a player list on status requests
- When JFR profiling is started from an external source, the JFR events for network packets are now aggregated instead of one event per packet
- Sleeping always resets time until rain
- Foxes can’t spawn on podzol or coarse dirt
- In mineshafts, torches can generate attached to blocks other than the wooden supports
- Mineshafts can generate with light but without any torches
- Torches not spawning in abandoned mineshafts under y=0
- Large dripstone structures can be generated outside the caves
- New mountain biomes don’t count towards “Adventuring Time” advancement
- /jfr stop output does not have a link
- Mobs specific to structures aren’t spawning in their structures
- Foxes & Wolves don’t spawn in Groves
- Adventuring Time does not account for the new cave biomes
- Deep Ocean & Ocean is not needed for the “Adventure Time” advancement
- Values of Infinity in noise settings in default worldgen
- Powder snow strips can’t generate exposed to the surface
- Icebergs go all the way to ocean floor.
- Old Growth Spruce Taiga and Old Growth Birch Forest aren’t part of the “Adventuring Time” advancement
- Windswept Gravelly Hills & Windswept Savanna aren’t a part of the “Adventuring Time” advancement
- Withers do not move down to follow the player when the wither’s health is half or lower
- All torches in mineshafts are facing the wrong way
- Wither Skeletons can only spawn on Nether Bricks
- The “amplified” boolean in noise settings does nothing
- Nether and caves world is missing bedrock
- Nether decorations can be generated on the original bedrock layer
- Terrain shaper in noise_settings is not used
Upcoming Minecraft Updates
As well as the Caves and Cliffs Update Part 2 release, Mojang has recently announced The Wild Update for Minecraft. According to Mojang, the update will bring a bunch of new blocks to the game, additional mobs, and new biomes. Furthermore, there will be new large ancient cities featuring unique loot to the update.
Tip of the day: When Windows 10 or Windows 11 has issues, it’s not rare to run into startup problems. Corrupted Windows files, incorrect system configuration, driver failure, or registry tweaks can all cause this issue.
Using Windows startup repair can fix boot issues caused by the most prevalent issues. Though it may seem that all is lost when you run into startup problems, it’s important to try a Windows boot repair so you can at least narrow down the source of the issue. If it doesn’t work, you may have to reinstall the OS or test your hardware.